Wednesday 19 April 2017

Day 67: Dilemma of Choices

Round the world on board
Day 67: The dilemma of choices
Vietnam: Long Kahn to Thuan nam
Distance : 81.83 km
Time on board : 5 hours 22 mins
Ascent : 258 m
Descent : 367 m
Average speed: 15.2 km/h

Cumulative distance : 2941.6 km

Throughout my journey, I faced lots of choices. Example, choosing which food stop to patronise. Every hour or 15-20km, I will stop for breaks. Everytime, I face the dilemma of which one to choose. Sometime, I encounter a stall, but I haven't reach targeted mileage or target time for pit stop. Hence I would skate on further. By then, I am middle of nowhere, no stalls for me. By then, it is too far to backtrack. My point is that we encountered lots of choices in life. Talking about love, you found a suitable partner, the dilemma is whether do you want to settle for it, wait on for someone better, whom might not appear at all. Then if you settle, another more suitable partner might come along. That is the dilemma. I say sometimes, if you found a choice that makes you happy, just seize the opportunity and go for it. Not to worry about what if there is other choices that makes you happier. Happy is happy. Happier is happy. You might not get 2nd chance. That is my philosophy I always think during my skate. Do I settle for the food here now, or skate on to find cheaper better food.

Got a good night rest, thanks to kind Vietnamese lady who paid for my hotel stay. Really getting spoilt by their kindness. Skated 3km for breakfast, another dilemma of choices. Finally, got back into route 1, once I am sure that I am on the right track, settled for breakfast. I was craving for banh mi, Vietnam sandwich, instead I ordered bun thit muong, some sort of noodles. The owner and everyone Chatted with me in Vietnamese, luckily a customer who speak English, translated for us.

Moving on, I realise actually, I am in mountains, hills. No wonder I am having a torrid time skating up from Flat Saigon. Now, rolling hills aren't so steep. I can push up with respectable speed and downhill aren't so steep that I have to keep braking. I can skate down all the way without having to brake, resulting in high average speed.

At lunch, I asked for Bun Rieu, noodles soup. I assume the lady understood my pronunciation, instead she cooked a porridge. Too late. Next time, I should take pictures of Vietnam food and show them to make sure my order is right. Now irksome part. I understand Vietnamese people are curious and friendly, but you don't simply take someone's longboard and play without seeking permission. They could just gesture to me that they want to try. They just simply took my board without asking. The eatery is next to the road, and they never skate before, could have lost control and push my board into incoming traffic. Usually, I would take a nap during lunch to seek refuge from the scorching sun. The guys pestered me to demonstrate to them how to skate. After skating 55km already, I just need a recharge. Pissed, I cut short my break and skate on.

My translated sign on backpack really works. People have better understanding of what I am doing, keep giving me the thumbs up. Those motorcyclist who could speak English, would slow down to chat with me. I truly welcome these interactions as it boosted my Morales. I am here to interact with locals.

A motorcyclist with a backpack on his motorcycle pulled over to chat with me. He happened to be from Manchester, travelling from Saigon to Hanoi. Treated me to drinks. He is going to mui ne today, which it is my destination tomorrow. Will meet him in Mui Ne.

Reached my destination and got a fan room for 120,000 dong or 5.5 USD

No comments:

Post a Comment