Sunday 23 April 2017

Day 70: beating the rain

Round the world on board
Day 70: The day I beat the rain.
Vietnam : Vinh Tan to Cam Ranh (then bus to Nha trang)
Distance : 93.85 km
Time on board : 5 hours 57 mins
Average speed: 16.3 km/h

Ascent: 174 m Descent : 161 m
Cumulative distance : 3223 km

In past few days, Been waking up earlier at 5 am. This is because sun rises at 5.30 am in Vietnam, much earlier than Cambodia. And the sun set just before 6 pm. That roughly gives me 12 hours of daylight to skate.

Had my leftover banh mi from last night for breakfast and left at 6.47 am. Vinh Tan has a major power plant, probably powering the southern Vietnam I supposed. Hence, lots of heavy vehicle passing by. Shortly, pass the coastline of CA Na, should have camped there last night. Stop for awhile to admire the sea view and listen to sound of crashing waves.

Since I started early nowadays, I covered more mileage before lunch. I usually tried to cover as much distance before lunch, about 50 km, so after lunch, I can chill and go slow amidst the afternoon sun. By then I only need to skate another 30-40 km. By 4 pm, I already reach my destination.

Today at lunch, I already covered 55 km. Could have done more but I was starving. Hence I stopped by a hammock cafe, or the Vietnamese called it Cafe Vong. You can get drinks, food and Wi-Fi and chill at their hammock. That is real Hanging out. Had a sumptuous meal for just 25,000 dong which I would gladly paid 30,000 dong. Egg, pork chop, rice and a soup, all for these around 1.30 USD. What a satisfying meal. To sweeten the deal, they had hammock for me to take a nap. Planning to nap there till 2 pm since I got only 30 km left to Cam Ranh. My nap was abruptly awakened by the sound of thunder. Shit. At 1.30 pm, refill my water and quickly skate before the rain arrives.

Good thing about incoming storm is that it is accompanied by tailwind, pushing me faster. Is like God pushing me. Furthermore, the sun was blocked by the clouds, cooling the temperature down. Cooler temperature means I consume less water and exert less energy skating, hence no breaks. I skated 30 km straight at 18 km/ h without any break, exception of a pee break.

By 3 pm, I reached Cam Ranh just before the rain arrives. Was planning to camp tonight, with incoming rain, I put off my plan and search for guesthouse. When the rain started, somehow all the guesthouse increased their price, seeing that I looked desperate. Generally, Vietnamese are friendly and have encountered many kind moments. But somehow when doing business with them, I have to be careful. They are rather scheming, I would say as compared to the simple Cambodian. Probably Vietnamese is closely related to Chinese race, known for our money making skills. I know cos I am of Chinese ethnicity. Nowhere to stay and with rain, just in time, I spotted a bus station, heading to Nha Trang 50 km away, which is supposed to be my tomorrow destination. By right, it should take a half day by noon to reach nha trang, 50 km and take half day off to chill at nha trang beach. Since I got a bus now, so I managed to get extra half day off, adding up to a day. Tomorrow rest day to chill by the Nha Trang beach.

1250 km more to Hanoi

No comments:

Post a Comment