Thursday 4 December 2014

Cuba The Longboard Diary 4 December 2014

4 December 2014
Santiago to Palma Soriano
Distance: 50km
Time: 8am to 2pm
Ate breakfast prepared by my Casa, happened that the father had a workshop in his backyard, borrowed a wrench to assemble my Gbomb. Thank God. Chatted with the family about my plan to skate across Cuba. Not surprisingly, their first reaction were "loco" (crazy) I was planning 2 routes to Palma, my first stop. Either via El cobre or Autopista (national highway) The el cobre route was more scenic and with a church on top of it. However, it will be a big climb. On my first day of my Skate and without tools to change my soft bushings, climbing uphill and going fast on downhill might not be a good idea. Therefore, i chose the busier, less hilly and rougher, bumpy Autopista.

Along the way on autopisata, skated past a couple on horse wagon, they were curious on what am i doing. They allowed me to hold on the back of the wagon and managed 10km of pulling me along on my Gbomb.
Saw a stall selling fruits and bought 10 oranges for 10 national pesos (1 USD = 25 pesos). Had lunch at halfway point San Luis. Pan con cerdo (bread with pork).

Finally reach Palma at 2pm, It is not a tourist destination therefore, it is difficult to find a legal casa particular. I stopped at the bakery, and asked for a casa particular. 2 guys offered to take me to their friends. well i have no choice but to follow them. Found one for 20 Cuc with breakfast. Ate sumptous but tough cerdo con arroz)rice with pork) at local peso resturant. Chatted with a puerto rican guy and his pretty cuban girlfriend to end the night.














No comments:

Post a Comment