Monday 8 December 2014

Cuba The Longboard Diary 8 - 9 Dec

Guaimaro to Camaguey
7am to 1.45pm
Distance: 80km
Finally approaching my major city pit stop where i will rest for extra day and do more sight-seeing. Read that Camaguey is a great city, rather different from others as the layout and orientation is a labyrinth, similar to the medina in Morocco.
Started early and kept a good pace of 15km/h. Rest every 15km or available town with guarapo stand. Maintained excellent rhythm of paddle, pump, pus. Maybe previous day of short skate or maybe my body is already used to skating long distance.
Lunch at a local resturant 15km away from camaguey, catered for bus travelling out of camaguey. The usual pork with rice and beans (Cerdo con arroz) and my favourite cuba soft drink, Lime refresco.
Reach city faster than usual. Found a casa, however, it was booked. They found me another one but we couldn't agree on price. 25 CUC without breakfast! No way i am staying. Even so, they still helped me get a casa.
Dec9 - Rest day
Wander around the city. Had a field day eating ice creams at just 5 pesos (20 cents). Got picked by Jinteras. Girls chatted with me, trying to get something out of me, even resorting to prosituting themselves for $5. OMG! I dont want any free STDs from them. They dont look that poor or desperate, dressed pretty well. I believe that they are still able to survive barely if they worked. But if they want luxury goods, they have to do a lot more than just working.
Attended evening mass at a church with just 10 people or less. The Father noticed me and chatted with me. He blessed my board.

















No comments:

Post a Comment