Saturday 6 December 2014

Cuba The Longboard Diary 6 Dec 2014

Cuba The Longboard Diary
6 Dec 2014
Bayamo - Las Tunas
7am - 3 pm
Distance: 85km
By the 3rd day of skating in Cuba, i already established a rhythm. Wake up at 6am, have my breakfast, start skating. Arrived at destination, find a Casa. Showered and washed my skate clothes. Changed into my normal set then explore the city till nightfall.


 My skating rhythm is push with 2 deep breath, then paddle and pump 10 times then repeat and rinse. Able to skate at a pace of 15km/h. I realised the numbers on carreterra central represented the km to Havana. i am able to measure how far have i skated and plan my rest. Every 15km or 1 hour, i rest for 10 mins. Coincidentally, small town are about 15km apart.

Road to las Tunas is mostly smooth and flat except couple of unpaved roads for few kms. Just walk.
Lunch at Vado Del Yeso. Couple of bread with pork. Last 30km met with Cross wind, slows down my pace. Stopped at a Guarapo stall, making the perfect Guarapo. New sugar cane grinding machine makes the sugar cane so pure, it turns out yellow instead of usual green. It has nice lemon tingling taste. That is the the best Guarapo i ever had.
Finally arrived at Las Tunas, took me 8 hours including rest and breaks to skate 85km. Good Pace. Went to a casa, however they were full. Despite this, they helped me to call every Casa in town for availability. As it was tourist season, most casas were full. The casa relented and finally found me a casa. I love the Cubans for the fact that they helped each other out. I guess Communisim isnt such a bad thing. Slept at Lissett and leon Casa for 25 CUC. Encountered a wedding on Street. They closed the whole street for a party. Cubans do love their party.























No comments:

Post a Comment