Friday 10 June 2016

Patina de Santiago Portugal Day 2 Santarem to Fatima

Patina de Santiago Portugal
Day 2
Santarem to Fatima
Distance : 67km
Time on Board : 6 hours 33mins
Finding Fatty Ma / Fei yi Ma in Fatima. Forgive my pun.
Fatima is actually not part of my original route. But it is of significant spiritual importance. Changed my plan from tomar.
Fátima is a place of pilgrimage for many Catholics in commemoration of the apparition of the Virgin to three young shepherds (Francisco Marto, Jacinta Marto and Lucia Santos, later Sister Lucia of Fatima) in Cova da Iria. On the 13th of every month (and more so on 13 May and 13 October), thousands of people will make their way to Fátima.
Supposed to be a relaxed short 57km and arrived early to explore Fatima. Instead I got lost most of time. I tried Google map direction to take quieter roads. Instead it lead me to trails across nature reserve. I end up walking quite abit. Sometime the map pinpoint me wrong turn, as result, I miss many turns. Should have taken busy but direct N3 road. Well, there is no getting lost. I just take a fucking longer road. Slowly take my time to smell flowers and appreciate the nature around me.
By 3pm, i am still crossing mountain roads. Run out of water, to conserve energy, I still end up walking 5km along the road until I reached at dinosaur park, where I finally can buy my water supply. Realised why I am so slow. Wind damn strong, blew my scarf and gloves off the table. All along I been facing headwind. Rehydrated myself, make my final push to Fatima. Will rest another day in Fatima.
There is no shame in walking. Only shame in quitting.
I don't pray for tailwind
I don't pray for downhill
I don't pray for smooth road
I pray for strength to overcome obstacles.

Fatima



No comments:

Post a Comment