Wednesday 8 March 2017

Day 25-26: Shit Happens, The world is my toilet

Day 26: Shit Happens, The world is my toilet
Thailand: Krabi to Bang Sawan
Distance: 75km
Time on board: 5 hours 19 m
Cumulative distance: 1367.2km
Yesterday spent chilling at Ao Nang Beach and ended up having sun burn on my shoulders. In the evening, met up with Jason Martin, cycle tourist whom i met on the way to Krabi previously. He brought along his hostel mates and a couple from Germany is actually running all the way from Singapore to here. Insane! I thought i am the crazy one already. They ran with a wagon attached to their hip, which allows them to carry 30kg of load. Maybe i should do that too. However, their wagon broke mid way and so they bought a bicycle. They took turns to ride and cycle and alternate hourly. It took 6 weeks for them to get here.
Today woke up with sunburn. Bad mistake not wanting to sun block my skin. The backpack seems alot more painful on my sunburnt Shoulders. Today's skate is really painful. Struggled on the first hour as i felt that burning sensation on shoulders pressed by my backpack.
30 km on Road 4, i crossed over to road 44 to Surat Thani 125km away. Road 44 was rather pleasant, middle of mountain ridges and palm tree plantations. Traffic was also rather light. However, it was constructed as an express road connecting Surat Thani and Krabi, meaning it bypass towns, resulting in barren land. For entire 20km, i skated and found nothing. No shops and eateries. A car stopped and offered me a lift. I was tempted to accept given my burning shoulders. But i refused, wanting to skate all the way. I recalled one of my catholic mass, Father henry talked about carrying our own burden of cross as Jesus did. This is my burden of cross, my test. Everyone in life has to carry their own cross, it is how we do it. Over centuries, buddhist monks walked in their pilgrimage. Now modern time, travellers walked, cycled, inline skate, skateboarded and many other ways just to explore the world. It wasn't easy at times, we faced challenges all the time but it was rewarding as well when we got our reward or overcome the obstacles.
Stopped at a shade, heard a stream of tiny waterfall. Left my backpack and board on the road shoulder and ventured into forest in search for waterfall. Just few hundred metre, found it. Of course i took a dip amidst hot humid weather and refilled my water using Grayl water filter. Just fill it and push it down.
After 47km, finally found eatery out of nowhere. Grabbed opportunity for lunch cos i don't know when is my next meal, given the barren roads. Continued my way, shortly after, shit happens. Literally shit. Stopped by the roadside, grabbed my emergency toilet paper and found a tree to poo on it. Good thing i thought of bringing toilet rolls from my hotel.
Life is like having to shit along the way, you better be prepared with toilet paper cos you never know when you need it.
At 70km, got off road 44, and switched over to Bang Sawan. Next town is 40km away, not sure if i can reach before sunset given my condition. At 3.30pm, arrived at Bang Sawan and found monastery to stay over. Not the best comfortable accomodation, but it is free, and they are kind enough to accept me in.
Tomorrow is another 80km to Surat Thani.



Ao Nang Beach

















The Voyage

Camping 

Harvesting Ants for food. Yummy





No comments:

Post a Comment